We have ambitious plans for Taunton’s future
Taunton is a great business location, but like all businesses, we cannot afford to rest on our laurels. As the fastest growing town in the South West, we are ambitious for the future of Taunton, and have a comprehensive programme of improvements planned.
A place for its people
Our vision is of a place that truly caters for its people, with an abundance of green space, that inspires and enables ambition and culture, and provides opportunities to develop and grow. We want the best in education, health, housing and commerce and we want our next generation to be able to enjoy the best in life. This includes upgrades to infrastructure, further business parks and premises, and plans to further enhance the town centre with walkways, cycleways and a cultural quarter.
Growing our Garden Town
The Garden Town is our once in a lifetime opportunity to pull together and to bring these ambitions to life. We want our communities to thrive and our businesses to flourish, all in the greatest possible environment: Taunton.
We are currently preparing our Growth Strategy – entitled ‘Growing our Garden Town’ this document outlines our aims, plans and targets for the year ahead. It details how we are going to work to develop business in the Taunton area and will be available for download at the end of the summer.
To keep up to date with news about developments, please sign up to our Invest in Taunton newsletter below.
population growth by 2028
new homes by 2028
new jobs by 2028
Key planned developments
The right business environment
Developing the right environment for business – both existing and new – is an important strand of our plans. Garden Town status is a catalyst for business and investment. It will help us to secure more funding in the future from Government to help business and our workforce.
Key developments include:
- Nexus 25 – this is a new 25 hectare business park, situated at junction 25 of the M5. It will offer high quality office space, light industrial units and warehouses and will also have capacity for regional HQ buildings.
- Firepool – located close to the centre of Taunton, Firepool is a mixed-use development with leisure, retail, offices, restaurants and residential opportunities and is set to create approximately 1800 new jobs.
- Coal Orchard – this new cultural and leisure development will feature high quality restaurants, cultural outlets and shops.
- The Collar Factory – converted from a 19th Century Listed cotton mill, will provide shared work and space facilities in the heart of Taunton town centre.
- Wiveliscombe Enterprise Centre will provide good quality managed workspace for rural businesses.
Taunton is undergoing major road and rail improvements. Taunton was awarded £19.4m ‘Growth Deal’ funding to further improve key road infrastructure – demonstrating a strong commitment by Government to the town’s growth and development
Road improvements include:
- £18m investment into Junction 25 of the M5 to improve traffic flow
- Upgrading the A358 to a dual carriageway, connecting Taunton to the A303
- The new Northern Inner Distributor Road (opens 2017)
- £10m investment to improve traffic flow on the Toneway.
On the rail network, new trains are due in December 2018, and the railway station will also undergo major £8.5m refurbishment in the next two years. We are also campaigning with partners for the reopening of Wellington station too.
The full plans will be available later this year and work will include a new station gateway, ticket office, better public transport connections and a new multi-storey car park will be completed in early 2019.